St David’s RC High School is a denominational school which serves the town of Dalkeith and communities across Midlothian and East Lothian. The inspection was carried out in November 2008 at which time the roll was 807. Young people’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2006/07.
Particular strengths of the school
- Positive relationships between young people and staff.
- The help provided by learning support staff for young people with additional support needs.
- Strong partnerships with community organisations and partner agencies which enhance young people’s learning experiences.
- Innovative curricular developments.
Examples of good practice
- The way the school extends vocational options for a large group of S5/S6 young people through the ‘Empower Programme’.
- Innovative use of staffing, including youth work expertise, to extend curriculum options and to provide very effective support to the most vulnerable young people.
- The development of young people’s skills in music and its links in other areas of the curriculum.