At the recent seminar for all schools which have expressed interest participating in a pilot scheme for the new Pope Benedict XVI Caritas Award scheme in session 2011-12, there was a very impressive turnout of 49 secondary schools – almost 95% of Catholic secondary schools in Scotland. This turnout indicates the level of interest of Catholic schools in this new award.
At the seminar the following important points were addressed:
School Contact details
- It is important that each school appoints a contact person who will co-ordinate school involvement and also act as a liaison with SCES throughout the award year. SCES will send all related material to the named school contact. If they have not already done so, schools should advise SCES of this person’s name and email address.
Introduction to the Caritas Award Powerpoint
- A Powerpoint has been produced for use with students as they prepare to start S6 courses. This will help them to understand what the scheme is, how they can be involved, what sorts of activities are relevant and how they can gather evidence to gain the award. NOTES have been inserted for each Powerpoint slide to help teachers to communicate the main messages about the scheme. This Powerpoint will be emailed to all school contacts and can also be downloaded using the attachment below.
- A Poster and a 6-page brochure have been printed to publicise the CARITAS AWARD and to provide information to pupils who have expressed interest in it. Copies of these are being mailed and these should arrive in all the enrolled schools by Monday 6th June at the latest. Additional copies of these materials can be obtained from SCES.
- It is important that, by the end of June, schools provide SCES with a provisional number of interested students for session 2011-12, so that plans can be made for the resources being prepared. Please email this information to Margaret Lavery on email@example.com.
- Details of the awards scheme are currently being mailed to every parish together with a letter encouraging them to be receptive to approaches from schools and/or from young people. Parishes with no associated Catholic secondary schools have been asked to consider nominating young people for the award.
Caritas News on SCES website
- Updated details of the award scheme, together with news bulletins and news of school participation, will be posted on the SCES website (see Caritas Award) as a means of keeping everyone informed of developments. Schools are encouraged to post comments on this page in order to share experiences with colleagues on other schools.
- A set of Frequently Asked Questions will also be kept updated here on the SCES website Caritas Award FAQs. Again, please use this page to add a comment or to ask a question.