We are providing an exciting new opportunity for those who wish to teach in Catholic schools and have not obtained a preliminary qualification from the University of Glasgow to teach Catholic R.E. Setting Out on the Road is an introductory course on teaching Religious Education in Catholic schools. Successful completion of the full course will lead to the award of a certificate of the Scottish Catholic Education Service, recognised by the Catholic Bishops of Scotland.
This course is intended for those who:
- are keen to teach in a Catholic school
- have completed, or are about to complete, a post / under graduate certificate in Education to qualify as a teacher
- want to update the knowledge and skills needed by a ‘non-specialist’ teacher of Religious Education courses in a Catholic primary or secondary school
This journey of professional and personal development begins with a 4-day summer school (30th June to 3rd July 2015) which will:
- develop understanding of the fundamentals of Catholic doctrine, faith and morals in light of Scripture, Tradition and Liturgy
- promote understanding of the vocation of the teacher as evangelist and catechist
- focus on the teaching of religious education in Catholic schools, including lesson planning using ‘This Is Our Faith’
- support professional learning in these areas.
Beyond the summer school, the journey will continue on into the following school year when participants will develop an R.E. Journal which will record their learning about, and practice in, Religious Education.
To read more about this, click here: Setting Out on the Road