Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School is a denominational school with a nursery class. It serves the Cardonald area of Glasgow. The roll was 523, including 80 in the nursery when the inspection was carried out in June 2009. There were 50 pupils who were learning English as an additional language. Across the different stages of the school, about 25% of children attend as a result of parental placing requests. Pupils’ attendance was in line with the national average in 2007/2008. The depute headteacher had been serving as acting headteacher over a period of eighteen months. She was due to retire at the end of the school session.
Particular strengths of the school
- Polite and well-behaved children who contribute to improving the school.
- Children’s achievement in the nursery.
- Learners’ experiences within a broad and stimulating curriculum.
- High-quality support for children who are learning English as an additional language and their very good progress.
- Positive, inclusive ethos and faith development at the primary stages.
Example of good practice
- The development of children’s understanding of global and equality issues through an emphasis on learning about Fairtrade.