Our Lady’s RC Primary School is a denominational school with a nursery class and a nurture class. It serves an area in the north of Perth. The roll was 266, including 39 in the nursery, when the inspection was carried out in February 2011. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2009/2010. There have been significant changes in management and staff over the last two years.
Particular strengths of the school
- Improvement in attainment in English language and mathematics.
- The leadership of the headteacher and depute headteacher in identifying and prioritising areas for improvement.
- A strong Roman Catholic ethos where children feel secure and work well together.
- The success of staff in working with other agencies to support children and their families.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority:
- Improve opportunities for children in the nursery class to develop independence and to be challenged in their learning.
- Continue to develop the use of self-evaluation in the nursery and school to further improve outcomes for learners.
- Take forward plans to increase opportunities for staff to take responsibility for leading developments in implementing Curriculum for Excellence.
- Work with the Parent Council to increase opportunities for parents to be involved in their children’s learning and the life of the school.