St Aloysius’ Primary School is a denominational school with a nursery class. It serves the villages of Chapelhall and Salsburgh. The roll was 463, including 134 in the nursery, when the inspection was carried out in February 2010. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2008/2009.
Particular strengths of the school
- Confident, friendly children who respect and care for each other.
- Positive and nurturing ethos for learning.
- Staff teamwork across the nursery and primary stages in improving the curriculum.
- Nursery children’s knowledge about health and wellbeing.
- Use of self-evaluation to improve children’s learning experiences.
- Leadership of improvement by the headteacher and promoted staff.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority.
- Continue to develop the curriculum, taking account of Curriculum for Excellence.
- Continue to develop approaches for sharing next steps in learning with children and parents.