St Andrew’s RC Primary School is a denominational school with a nursery class. It serves the town of Dumfries. The roll was 196, including 40 children in the nursery, when the inspection was carried out in September 2010. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2008/2009. The headteacher was appointed in January 2010.
Particular strengths of the school
- The use of information and communications technology (ICT) to motivate learners in the school and nursery.
- Very well-behaved, articulate children who are motivated by their learning and contribute to the positive learning environment.
- Staff teamwork in bringing about recent improvements in learning for children.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority.
- To develop the curriculum more fully taking account of Curriculum for Excellence.
- Continue to develop approaches to effective planning and assessment to support progress in learning.
- Improve attainment in English language and mathematics.
- Develop more formal approaches to monitor and evaluate the work of the school to ensure continued improvement.