St Anthony’s Primary School is a denominational school. It serves Springhall, Whitlawburn and the Cathkin areas of Rutherglen. The roll was 157 when the inspection was carried out in March 2010. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2008/2009. At the time of the inspection the school was housed in temporary facilities pending a move into a new building in August 2010. Shared arrangements with Loch Primary School are in place for dining, gymnasium and playground facilities.
Particular strengths of the school
- Children’s performance and broader achievements across the curriculum, particularly in mathematics, information and communications technology and expressive arts.
- The contribution of the whole school community to ensuring that all children learn and achieve.
- Staff’s enthusiasm for working together to improve children’s learning experiences.
- The leadership of the headteacher and active engagement of other staff in taking lead roles in improving children’s learning experiences.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority:
- Continue with plans to take forward Curriculum for Excellence.
- Increase the impact of self-evaluation on improving teaching and learning.