St Augustine’s RC High School is a denominational school which serves a wide area in the west of the city of Edinburgh. The inspection was carried out in September 2009. At the time of the inspection, the roll was 723 of whom 109 had a main home language that was not English. Young people’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2007/2008. The acting headteacher has been in this role since January 2008.
Particular strengths of the school
- The very positive relationships young people have with each other and with staff.
- Young people’s positive attitudes to learning.
- The acting headteacher’s encouragement of leadership across the school.
- Staff teamwork in meeting the needs of all young people.
Examples of good practice
- Provision for young people whose first language is not English.
- Linking learning across subjects through fantasy game modelling.