St Columba’s High School is a denominational school which serves the areas of Gourock, South West Greenock, Inverkip and Wemyss Bay. The roll was 631 when the inspection was carried out in December 2009. Young people’s attendance was below the national average in 2007/2008. At the time of the inspection the school was relocated within temporary accommodation.
Particular strengths of the school
- Confident, courteous young people who are keen to learn.
- A community of faith where every learner matters.
- Very positive relationships with parents, parishes and the wider community.
- High expectations and teamwork of all staff which have led to improved attainment and achievement.
- Leadership of the headteacher and senior managers.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed:
- Continue to build the skills of all staff to ensure that learners make good progress within Curriculum for Excellence.
- Improve the consistency of the use of self-evaluation across the school to ensure greater impact on attainment and achievement.