St Columbkille’s Primary School is a denominational school. It serves the Rutherglen central, Burnhill, Eastfield, Burnside and part of Kings Park areas of Rutherglen. The roll was 356 when the inspection was carried out in February 2011. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2009/2010.
Particular strengths of the school
- Polite, well-behaved children with a great enthusiasm for learning.
- Clear commitment of the headteacher and all staff to the provision of a strong catholic community of faith.
- Respect created between the children and staff which supports high-quality learning experiences.
- High level of parental support for the life and work of the school.
- The development of links with business and the local community.
The following areas for improvement with the school and education authority:
- Continue to improve attainment in writing by developing a consistent approach across all stages.
- Improve the monitoring and tracking of children’s progress to ensure that the needs of all children are met.
- Develop further approaches to self-evaluation to ensure continuing school improvement.