St Gabriel’s RC Primary School is a denominational school with a nursery class. It serves the towns of Prestonpans, Port Seton, Cockenzie and Longniddry. The roll was 223, including 40 in the nursery, when the inspection was carried out in May 2010. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2008/2009.
Particular strengths of the school
- Friendly relationships between staff and children in a caring Catholic ethos.
- All staff are committed to children’s welfare.
- The teamwork shown by the staff in taking forward school improvement.
- The partnerships with parents and the community.
The parish priest is a regular contributor to the life of the school and to the development of the children’s understanding of the Catholic faith. Children visit the local church for services and Mass.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority:
- Develop the curriculum in the nursery.
- Continue to raise children’s achievement across all areas of the curriculum.
- Improve further children’s learning by agreeing with them their targets for learning and ways to improve their work.