St John’s Primary School is a denominational school. It serves a wide area of Barrhead. The roll was 218 when the inspection was carried out in May 2009. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2007/2008. An outreach service is based within the school and is managed by the headteacher.
Particular strengths of the school
- Children’s behaviour, confidence as learners and contribution to school improvement.
- Staff use of self-evaluation to improve learning and meet children’s needs.
- Examples of inspirational teaching.
- Teamwork amongst staff and their partnerships with parents, the church and community.
- The visionary leadership of the headteacher.
Examples of good practice
- Transition arrangements from nursery to primary school.
- Improvement through self-evaluation.
- Using children’s views to improve the work of the school.