St John’s Primary School is a denominational school. It serves an area of Port Glasgow. The roll was 176 when the inspection was carried out in June 2009. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2007/2008.
Particular strengths of the school
- Children’s behaviour, respect for each other and eagerness to learn.
- Staff teamwork and their success in creating an inclusive learning environment.
- Links with support agencies.
- Shared values which underpin the work of the whole school community.
- The headteacher’s commitment to improving the quality of children’s learning and wider achievements.
Examples of good practice
- Use of award systems to recognise and celebrate learners’ achievements.
- The impact of expressive arts activities on children’s confidence and motivation.