St Joseph’s RC Primary School is a denominational school which serves the town of Stranraer and the surrounding districts in the Rhins area of Dumfries and Galloway. The roll was 47 when the inspection was carried out in May 2011. Children’s attendance was above the national average in 2009/2010. The acting headteacher is very recently in post. He has dual responsibility for St Joseph’s RC Primary School and another school in the area.
Particular strengths of the school
- Very friendly, well behaved children with an enthusiasm for learning.
- The acting headteacher’s hard work in identifying the areas for improvement to take the school forward.
- High level of care and concern shown by all staff and parents.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority:
- The acting headteacher, staff, children and parents should work together to put in place the school’s vision, values and aims in order to improve the work of the school.
- Improve the quality of the curriculum in order to raise achievement.
- Develop effective methods to monitor and evaluate the work of the whole school.
- Improve leadership of learning across the school.