St Mary’s RC Primary School is a denominational school serving the communities of Polbeth and West Calder. The roll was 134 when the inspection was carried out in May 2010. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2008/2009.
Particular strengths of the school
- Polite, well-behaved children who engage well in their learning.
- Attention to the care and welfare of children shown by all staff.
- The friendly and welcoming ethos in the school.
- Steps taken by staff to take forward a Curriculum for Excellence.
The school has appropriate arrangements for religious observance within the Catholic faith.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority:
- Implement effective arrangements to evaluate and improve the quality of education provided by the school, including approaches to tracking children’s progress.
- Continue to improve the quality of learning to consistently meet the needs of children more effectively.