Saint Andrew’s Metropolitan Cathedral is now open, following a Solemn Mass on Sunday 10th April 2011, at which Archbishop Mario Conti dedicated the new Altar – “where the gift of Our Lord’s sacrifice is offered to nourish the living stones and build them into a temple in which the Spirit dwells”.
The Archbishop, who devoted much time and talent to the restoration project, was joined on the sanctuary by all Scotland’s Bishops, with the newly appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britaiin, Archbishop Antonio Mennini. Faithful from parishes across the Archdiocese gathered in warm sunshine and entered heart and soul into the joyful liturgy of the beautifully restored Cathedral which originally opened its doors to Glasgow’s growing Catholic population in 1816.
At the end of the Mass, Archbishop Mennini recalled the appeal Pope Benedict made to Scotland’s lay Catholics at Bellahouston, last September, to promote of faith’s wisdom and vision in the public forum.
On the eve of the Mass, St Andrew’s hosted a Service of Evening Prayer at which Archbishop Conti presided alongside the Canons of the Cathedral Chapter and Bishops from Ireland and England. Also present was Bishop Brian Farrell, of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, the Moderator of the Presbytery of Glasgow, the Episcopal Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway, and members of other Christian congregations in the city. Scotland’s First Minister, Alex Salmond, led the civic representation which included the Deputy Lord Provost of Glasgow and the Provosts of East and West Dunbartonshire, East Renfrewshire and Argyll and Bute.