St John’s Primary School is a denominational school. It serves the villages of Blackwood, Coalburn, Kirkmuirhill and Lesmahagow. The roll was 61 when the inspection was carried out in May 2010. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2008/2009.
Particular strengths of the school
- Well-behaved, polite and friendly children who are keen to learn.
- Staff teamwork leading to improvements in the school.
- High-quality artwork.
- Partnerships with parents, agencies and the wider community which have improved learning.
- Leadership of the headteacher.
The following area for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority.
- Ensure that tasks and activities across the curriculum meet the needs of all children.
- Continue to support children to identify their next steps in learning and to take greater responsibility for their own learning