St Andrew’s High School is a denominational school which serves Coatbridge, Glenboig, Calderbank and Harthill. The roll was 1278 when the inspection was carried out in September 2009. The school opened in August 2006, following the amalgamation of Columba High School and St Patrick’s High School. The new headteacher took up post in June 2009. St Andrew’s High School is one of North Lanarkshire Council’s Sports Comprehensives and aims to raise achievement through sport. Young people’s attendance has improved but remained below the national average in 2007/2008.
Particular strengths of the school
- Young people’s readiness to learn and take on challenges.
- The relationships young people have with each other and with staff.
- Levels of staff commitment to care and welfare and the impact this has on young people’s personal development.
- Shared moral and spiritual values which support young people, their families and staff in a strong Catholic ethos.
- Enhanced facilities, especially for physical education and activities, which create a motivating environment for learning.