St Mary’s RC Primary School is a denominational school with a nursery class. It serves the area of Leith in Edinburgh. The roll was 335, including 69 in the nursery classes, when the inspection was carried out in May 2010. Children’s attendance was in line with the national average in 2008/2009.
Particular strengths of the school
- Children’s confidence and enthusiasm for learning.
- Children’s wide achievements.
- The positive, caring and supportive ethos throughout the school.
- Support for children in the primary classes who need extra help with classwork.
- The enthusiasm and commitment of staff to further improve the school.
The school has a very positive, caring, supportive ethos where children feel included. Children are treated with fairness and respect by staff. The school is a strong community of faith. A whole-school approach to equality and diversity helps children to understand different cultures, faiths and associated festivals.
The following areas for improvement have been agreed with the school and education authority:
- Continue to raise attainment in reading, writing and mathematics.
- Improve the curriculum, ensuring coherence and progression in children’s learning.
- Address children’s learning needs better in the nursery classes.
- Make better use of self-evaluation to continue to improve children’s progress and experiences.